Friday How to: Cinnamon Apple Muffins
Tons of extra apples around? I know I always have too many! Try this yummy cinnamony apple muffin recipe with some homemade apple cider!
For the muffins:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chopped apples
For the topping:
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and either grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line with cupcake liners
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- In a large bowl, squish the butter down and beat it with a wooden spoon. Then add sugar and eggs and beat until smooth. Mix in the vanilla. Stir in the apples.
- Add the flour mixture. For fluffy muffins, the wet and dry ingredients should be just mixed, not totally blended together.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan.
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Sprinkle generously over tops of mixture in the muffin pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow the muffins to sit for 5 minutes before cooling on a wire rack.